Monday, June 13, 2011

How to borrow a library

Online I had seen that the Chinese University of Hong Kong had an excellent collection of the serials I was studying and some useful books referencing the field I was plunging into. What a good excuse to go to Hong Kong! I acquired from my professor the requisite letter of introduction to present to the librarian, to show I was indeed a student of good standing, and off I went. To get to CUHK one leaves behind the hustle of Hong Kong’s city streets and the bustle of its noodle shops and merchants. I hopped onto to the train, minding the gap, and headed into the mountains. The city falls away, trees appear. It was winter in Hong Kong, temperature mild by the standards I was used to, but humid. That combined with the general lack of central heating in many places, meant that a chill could creep past ones sweater into one’s bones. The librarian accepted my letter of introduction, I was issued a card, with not too bad a identification photo, and set about my work. (Chinese University of Hong Kong)

No comments:

Post a Comment